Saturday, August 4, 2012

Healthier A-Z Bread

I discovered a recipe for A-Z bread in a recipe exchange at work this year. The recipe from Taste of Home is delicious, but I've put a healthier twist on it for my family. Changes I've made to the recipe are highlighted below.

  • 2 cups palm sugar
  • 1/2 cup safflower oil & 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
  • 3  organic, cage free eggs, lightly beaten (or egg substitute if you're vegan)
  • 2 cups A to Z ingredients (choose from list on above link)
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup organic, unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups organic, whole wheat flour 
  • 1  teaspoon ground cinnamon (The original recipe calls for 2 tsp. which is a little strong to me.)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts or other nuts
The choices of A-Z ingredients and recipe directions are listed in the link above. Combinations we like include
  • 1 banana, 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips, 1 cup additional apple sauce, or
  • 1 cup organic grated apple (I don't remove the peel) with 1 cup pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling), or
  • 1 banana, 1 cup grated zucchini (I grate it with peel on), and 1/2 cup additional apple sauce. 
What are your favorite combinations? 


No comments:

Post a Comment