Sunday, April 15, 2012

Homemade Kim Chi

Source: drbenkim.com via cclong on Pinterest

I started buying Kim Chi at the grocery store when I found out last year how healthy it's supposed to be. After paying $4 for a small jar that includes ingredients I don't care to eat like fish sauce and sugar, I was excited when I found this homemade, healthier option from Dr. Ben Kim. The changes I make to his recipe are as follows:
  • 1 Tablespoon of red pepper (cayenne) mixed with water to form a paste instead of the Korean red pepper
  • I leave out the yellow onion and just use grated pear and apple mixed with water.
I made my first batch with Napa cabbage, and it turned out perfect. I made my second batch tonight with bok choy instead (only because they didn't have any Napa cabbage today at the store.) I read a suggestion on another blog to save a little of the fermented Kim Chi as a starter for your next batch, so I'm going to try that next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment