Sunday, March 20, 2011

Organic Cancer-Fighting Vegetable Soup

Now that my husband and I have approached our mid/late 40's, we've become more health conscious (especially when it comes to cancer prevention.) In addition to cutting out meat (hubby hasn't gone 100% vegetarian quite yet), we've started eating only fruits and vegetables in Sundays.  For lunch  today, I made my version of a Cancer-Fighting Vege Soup. All of the ingredients in this recipe are organic.
 RECIPE:

1 can Muir fire roasted crushed tomatoes
1 box organic vegetable broth
1 bunch torn kale (stems removed)
1/2 head cabbage (chopped)
4 baby portobello mushrooms (sliced)
1/2 bag frozen Shiitake mushrooms
1/2 bag frozen, shelled edamame
1 sliced red pepper
3-4 ribs sliced celery
2 leeks (Sliced thin- below the dark green part)
Enough water to barely cover the vegetables

Season to taste
4-5 minced fresh garlic
turmeric
red pepper flakes
black pepper
Pink Himalayan salt
dried basil (could also use fresh)
dried oregano

I don't like to overcook our vegetables, so I bring all of the ingredients to a boil and then take the pot off of the heat for about 15 minutes to allow the vegetables to soften before serving. I add chopped fresh parsley and sprinkle with nutritional yeast just before serving.  Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment